Overview of New E-Verification of income tax return Rule
If the filed return is not verified within the provided timeline, the return filing procedure is not complete. If an Income tax return’s is filed but not verified, the ITR is deemed to be invalid and is subject to all of the ITR's implications which are applicable on non-filed Income tax return’s at all. After the verification period has passed, the acknowledgment you download is generated with the watermark "INVALID" on it.
Which Income tax return’s require e-verification?
Every ITR submitted by a taxpayer must be validated, whether it
- According to income tax act U/s 139 (1) Original Return Filed.
- Income tax Act provision U/s 139(4) Belated Return filed.
- According to income tax act U/s 139 (5) Revised Return Filed.
- Income tax Act provision u/s 139 (9) Defective Return Filed.
How to verify ITR? | How to verify your return?
Income tax return verification is compulsory. The Income tax taxpayer has 2 alternatives for ITR verification:
- online ITR filling via e-verification mode.
- Send a hard copy of the Acknowledgement of ITR / ITR-V that has been signed to CPC, Bengaluru.
What is the address of CPC Bengaluru- Income tax department?
Address of CPC Bengaluru is mentioned here under :
Centralized Processing Centre, Income Tax Department, Bengaluru – 560500, Karnataka.
- Speed post an ITR-V copy which must be properly signed is delivered to CPC Bengaluru.
- Please take a note that the date of dispatch is considered as the date of verification if you opt to submit a physical copy.
Is it Compulsory needed to e-verify the ITR immediately?
No, Income tax return can be Verify in the specified amount of time. The Income tax taxpayer has following 2 choices.
- One option is to immediately verify it and
- Second is to e-verifications of the ITR it later
Whta are available modes for e-verification of income tax Return?
Available options for the e-verifications of the ITR: The ITR can be e-verified in the following different modes mentioned below :
- electronic verification code (EVC).via Pre-validate bank account
- Verification via Aadhaar OTP on registered Cell Number with Aadhaar
- Pre-validate via Demat account for electronic verification code (EVC).
- ATM offline method i.e Via using electronic verification code (EVC) using ATM.
- Online Net Banking.
- DSC stands Digital Signature Certificate.
Key Note : In case you can choose the option for e-verification later, after while DSC mode e-verification is not available.
What is the Timeline to e-verify the Income tax Return?
The Timeline for verification of Income tax return has been dedcreses through CBDT Notification No. 5/2022 on July 29, 2022, You may download the relevant notification via click here.
- For Income Tax Return’s filed before 31st July 2022 – 120 days (from date of filing).
- For Income Tax Return’s filed after 31st July 2022 – 30 days (from date of filing)
Note: The date of e-verification shall be deemed to be the date of filing the return and interest & penalty shall be assessed in accordance therewith if the returns are not e-verified within the aforementioned timeframe.
Can a income tax penalty under Section 234F be levied for a delay in ITR e-verification?
- If the filed ITR is not verified within the allotted time period, a penalty under Section 234F would be assessed. U/s 234F fine of Rs 5000 is levied, when returns are filed before 31st December and penalties can be Rs 10,000 in any other case. (Understand penalty u/s 234F)
What is procedure for e-verify the Income tax return post-login?
Steps by Step e-verification of ITR of the Post-login;
- Firstly, Visit the Income Tax Portal
- Log in with your valid PAN and password.
- Select "e-file" from the “Dashboard” under "Income Tax Returns" menu then go e-verify.
- You must choose the return you want to e-verify.
- Where you choose the verification method. Which are mentioned below:
- Point regarding Aadhaar for OTP/ EVC to e-verify my return.
- When the person is not having Aadhaar/EVC, then the person will have to generate Aadhaar for OTP/ EVC to e-verify their return.
- A point regarding the use of DSC to e-verify their return.
- You will be prompted to e-verify the return using EVC, OTP, or DSC based on the choice mentioned above step.
- After completing the verification of the ITR, a pop-up message and a mail received in the registered mail ID of the successful verification the ITR.
How to e-verify the return pre-login? | What is e-verify the Income tax return without income tax login?
Steps to follow for e-verifications of the ITR, Pre-Login and without Login:
- Initially visit the Income Tax Portal.
- Then Select “e-verify return” from Quick Link Tab.
- Fill all the information and click continue.
- Acknowledgement year
- From the drop down menu choose the Assessment year.
- Cell Number.
- The system will match all the information you entered, and after verification, you will be taken to the verification page.
- Where you choose the verification method.
- In case the person has an Aadhaar OTP or EVC to e-verify their return.
- If the person does not have an Aadhaar OTP or EVC and would like to generate Aadhaar OTP / EVC to e-verify their return.
- In accordance with decision from the options mentioned in step5, you should decide to use an OTP or EVC to confirm the return.
- After the verification of the ITR, a message of successful with a Transaction ID will be shown, and an email will also be sent to the registered number and mail respectively.
- It should be noted that Pre-login Income tax return verification is only available from the AY 2019–20 and in Pre-login DSC verification is not required.
- The option to e-verify under the pre-login tab for e-verification of ITR is not available for returns submitted by an Representative Assessee or Authorised Signatory.
New Income tax Rules for verification of Income Tax return’s
If Income Tax return for Assessment Year 2022-23 Submit Now or in months to come upto 31 Dec 2022 & not verified within 30 days
- Date of verification will be taken as date of filing. So interest & late fees will be levied accordingly
- Where these 30 days expire at any time in 2023 then Income Tax return will be treated as never filed because post 31.12.2022 Income Tax return cannot be filed.
But for Income Tax returns filed upto 31 July 2022 time limit of 120 days shall be available