You want to cancel your GST (Goods and Services Tax) registration because GST does not apply to you or because you are closing your business or profession. Or there is some other valid reason due to which you want to cancel your GST registration.
Meaning of cancellation of registration
Cancellation of GST registration simply means that the taxpayer will not be a GST registered person any more. He will not have to pay or collect GST.
Time Period (Limit) for Revocation
Any registered taxable person can apply for revocation of cancellation of Goods and Services Tax registration within a period of 30 days from the date of service of order of cancellation of GST registration. It must be noted that the application for revocation can be done only during the situations when the registration has been cancelled by the proper officer on his own motion. Hence, revocation cannot be used when GST registration was cancelled voluntarily by a taxpayer.
Application for Revocation
Application in form GST REG-21 needs to be filed by the registered person, for revocation of GST registration, either directly or through a facilitation centre notified by the Commissioner.
Steps of Online Revocation of GST Registration
- Access the GST Portal at www.gst.gov.in.
- In order to enter into the account, enter the username and appropriate password.
- In the GST Dashboard, select services, under services select registration and further under registration select application for revocation of cancelled registration option.
- Select the option of applying for revocation of cancelled registration. In the select box, enter the reason for revocation of GST registration cancellation. Further, you need to choose appropriate file to be attached for any supporting documents and you need to select verification checkbox and select name of authorized signatory and fill up the place filed box.
- The final step would be to select submit with DSC or submit with EVC box.
Kinds of Cancellation of Registration
While a taxpayer can opt to cancel registration himself, a Proper Officer can is also authorised to do so. The provisions related to this are covered in section 29(1) of CGST Act 2017.
- Cancellation of GST registration by a registered person (or his legal heirs)
- Cancellation of GST registration by the Proper Officer.
Cancellation of GST registration can be done by: -
- Tax Officer
- On Requisition by Taxpayer
- If Turnover is less than 20 Lakh
- But Application for cancellation (in case of voluntary registrations made under GST) can be made only after one year from the date of registration.
- Legal heirs in case of death of taxpayer
Application would be Rejected
If a GST officer is not satisfied about to revocation application, the officer will issue a notice in form GST REG-23. On receipt of the notice, the applicant is required to furnish a suitable reply in form GST REG-24 within a period of 7 working days from the date of service of the notice. On receipt of a suitable reply from the applicant, the officer is required to pass a suitable order in form GST REG-05 within a period of 30 days from the date of receipt of a reply from the applicant.
You can take help from Rajput jain & associates for revocation of GST registration