Importance’s and Process of PAN & Aadhaar linking
Aadhaar Card is a verifiable 12-digit identification number issued by India’s Unique Authority for Identification (UIDAI). It acts as evidence of identity and as proof of residence. PAN or Permanent Account Number is an alphanumeric identifier of ten characters issued by the Income Tax Department under the supervision of the Central Direct Tax Board (CBDT). It is necessary for income tax filings and also acts as proof of identity.
There are about a few days left to end PAN-Aadhaar linking completion date. Within the next few days, if PAN not linked to Aadhaar it becomes useless as from next month. Moreover, there is no need to worry regarding those who have already linked their PAN to Aadhaar. The Ministry of Finance’s (CBDT) issued a notice clarifying the time limit for PAN-Aadhaar.
The CBDT statement said, “In some media sections it has been reported that certain PANs that are not linked to the Aadhaar number may be nullified. The central government has considered the matter and now the cut-off date for notifying the Aadhaar number and linking PAN with Aadhaar is —– unless formally exempted.
The Supreme Court claimed that quoting Aadhaar Card is necessary for the filing of income tax returns and the implementation of a new PAN. Section 139 AA(2) of the Income Tax Act states that as of 1 July 2017, every person with PAN who is qualified to obtain Aadhaar must notify tax authorities of his Aadhaar number
The Income Tax Department has listed various ways for income tax assesses to link their Aadhaar to PAN on its website – incometaxindia.gov.in.
What are the benefits of linking PAN and Aadhaar card :
PAN and Aadhaar are both considered proof of identity for resident Indians. The benefits of linking a PAN card to an Aadhaar Card are:
–In the case of Individuals
- Linking the Aadhaar to the PAN would make the process of income tax filing simpler and much more convenient. It’ll also help an individual avoid the physical signature and digital signature process while filing income tax.
- It also helps an individual open a bank account electronically without any further documents being provided.
- The individual is given the option for verifying their tax filings with their own Aadhaar card.
- It will allow the individuals to display all transactions by log in to Income Tax.
–In the case of Government
- The multiple tax evasion PAN cards dilemmas will be solved as Aadhaar is linked to unique biometric identification. It will also help the government identify all transactions, thus reducing tax avoidance and increasing the government’s direct tax.
- The Black-money issue must be curbed.
- Tax evasion is a thing of the past. The huge taxpayer base would allow the government to lower the tax rate, as it will be compensated by higher wages.
Mistakes that may lead to Trouble to us.
The link can be easily made on the website of the income tax department, or even via SMS.
However, a number of PAN card holders have trouble making the link simply because the records of either the Income Tax Department or India’s Unique Identity Authority (UIDAI) have a mismatch. The I-T department issues PAN cards while Aadhaar cards are issued by the UIDAI
There may be at least three types of cases where linking between PAN-Aadhaar is expected to fail.
- In case PAN-Aadhaar Name found Mismatch
Earlier, the UIDAI had a provision to permit linking in case of minor name differences but with effect from December 2017, the provision was deleted. Around the time, Aadhaar authentication was possible by using an OTP-based verification if the cardholder’s name had a minor change.
“It is hereby accepted to discontinue the provision of partial matching in demographic authentication in order to remove any chance of wrongful identity verification using demographic authentication,” a UIDAI memorandum said.
PAN cardholders have been asked also by the Income Tax department to ensure that the Aadhaar number and the name as per Aadhaar are exactly the same in the PAN card.
2) In case mismatch in Date of Birth of the person
If in either of the two documents you entered an incorrect birth date, you are in for some trouble. Aadhaar cars won’t be linked to a PAN card if your date of birth is not matched. In situations where the Aadhaar card only contains the year of birth then the records in the PAN card should match.
3) In case gender Mismatch found
In the worst cases where either PAN or Aadhaar accidentally mentions gender, the linking is bound to fail. “Like that of Aadhaar, the I-T department must confirm your name, date of birth, and gender as per PAN,” says the income tax e-filing portal.
What is the process when Aadhaar and PAN Mismatch?
In data mismatch cases the only solution is to have it rectified. For instance, if your name’s spelling in Aadhaar is wrong then get it corrected from UIDAI. If there is any error in the PAN card, get it corrected either from UTI or NSDL — the two agencies responsible for issuing PAN cards. Whenever the correction is done, you will make a successful attempt to complete the link again, this time.
How to link PAN card and Aadhaar card?
An individual can link the PAN card and Aadhaar card through three ways:
- Go to Online using of Income-tax web site
- Which can be done through sending SMS
- Which can be done through filling up the form
Link Aadhaar & PAN through Income Tax E- Filing Website
Process 1: Visit the I-T Dept e-filing website. And find out that option of PAN-Aadhaar linking
Process2: File up your PAN & Aadhaar card number
Process3: Enter your name in the ‘Name as per AADHAAR’ mention as a category
Process4: Mark ‘I have the only year of birth in Aadhaar card,’ if you have only the birth year on the Aadhaar
Process5: Mark ‘I agree to validate my Aadhar details with UIDAI,’ if you agree to do so
Process6: Enter the captcha code on your screen.
Process7: Click on ‘Link Aadhaar’ option to request linking of PAN and Aadhaar
How to Link Aadhaar with Pan Card by sending SMS
An individual can also link Aadhaar with PAN by sending SMS. The steps are as follow:
Process1. Type a message in UIDPAN<12 Digit Aadhaar><10 Digit PAN > format.
Process2. Send any message from your registered mobile number to either 567678 or 56161.
Process3. If the information is right the Aadhaar will be successfully connected to PAN.
PAN -Aadhaar Link by filling up the form
Individuals are also given the option to manually connect the Aadhaar to the PAN. The person will be required to visit the NSDL PAN Service Provider, complete the necessary form, and provide the relevant documents to connect Aadhaar to the PAN card.
How to check Aadhar Link Status online with PAN card?
www.carajput.com; Link Aadhar and PANAn individual can check whether or not his or her Aadhaar is connected to PAN. Following are the steps to check:
Process1. Continue to Visit the official https:/www.incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in / home website.
Process2. Click the ‘Aadhaar’ sub-option Link below the Quick Links option.
Process3. Continue. A new screen will pop up, clicking on ‘click here to view the status if you have already submitted a request for Aadhaar link.’
Process4. Enter the details and click ‘Aadhaar Status View Link.’
The website will show the status of whether the Aadhaar is linked or not.
General terms of Aadhar card
- It is a 12-digit unique number issued to citizens of India by the Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI) after finishing an individual’s verification process.
- Regardless of age and gender, anyone who wants to obtain a uniform identification across the country can apply for it.
- Individuals can only enroll once to maintain the uniqueness of the Aadhaar card.
- Demographic Information: Name, DOB, Gender, Address, Email ID, Contact Number, etc.
- Biometric Information: Fingerprints, Two Iris Scans, and Facial Photograph.
- Aadhaar card prevents the use of duplicate & false identities and is used as the essential identifier.
- Aadhaar card has the power to modify Indian service distribution system. For example, it will make the government’s social security programmers for the poor, more crystalline and thus reduce the pressure on them due to a reduction in identity duplicity.
Characteristics of Aadhar card
- Singularity: As it is focused on demographic & biometric authentication it is unique in itself for each individual.
- Flexibility: It offers the national portability facility as it can be validated electronically and individually.
- Scalable Infrastructure Architecture: A centralized data management system is given, and authentication from anywhere in the nation can be performed electronically.
- Singular number: It is a random number dependent on the demographics, along with an individual’s biometric attributes. It does not even monitor an individual’s class, culture, earnings etc.
- Offline Confirmation: Offline Confirmation process will be as regulations stated by UIDAI.
- Penalty: UIDAI can impose penalties against a person for failure to (i) comply with the rules / regulations in the act or UIDAI guidance (ii) provide the necessary details. Penalties can be as large as 1 crore.
Perks of Aadhar Card
- For Government: There are many social security programmes in place that concentrate on the socially deprived classes / vulnerable communities to raise them. Through using Aadhaar card as a tool to recognise these individuals, the service delivery system will definitely be improved and the pressure on the exchequer will also be minimised.
- For Individuals: In offline / online mode, provides a common source of identity verification across the country. If a person has an aadhaar card they can use it several times to check their identity.
Basic Requirement for Aadhar card
- Indian resident
- Children under the age 5 year- Baal aadhaar card
- NRI /Foreigners remain in India for more than 12 years
Essential Document for Enrolment of Aadhar card
List of Identity and Address Proof;
- Driving Licenses
- Voter ID Card
- Ration Card
- Insurance Policy
- Account Statement of Post Office /Passbook
- Account Statement of Bank/ Passbook
- Statement of Credit Card (not more the 3 month)
- Electricity bill (not more the 3 month)
- Water bill (not more the 3 month)
- Telephone Bill (not more the 3 month)
- photo ID card/ Service ID card Issued by PSU
- Property Tax Receipt (not more than 1 year)
Process of Enrolment for Aadhar Card
- Enrollment is free of charge.
- Aadhaar Card Enrolment Centre: Visit with your identification & address proof to your nearest approved Aadhaar Enrolment Centre.
- Supporting documents for proof of address & identity are specified above
- If you do not have either of the above photo ID evidence then a Photo Identification certificate issued by a gazetted official would be valid as POI / POA.
- If someone does not have a validated document, if his / her name appears in the family eligibility list, he / she will still enroll for Aadhar .
- Even if no records are available for the same reason, the resident may take advantage of introducers at the aadhaar card enrollment centre.
There are 3 Ways for Aadhaar Card enrolment:
- Depending upon Document: Submit correct Identity Proof (POI) & Address Proof (POA);
- Depending upon head of the family: Relationship proof (POR) must be formed by documentation with the family members.
- Depending upon Introducers: An Introducer is an approved person with a valid Aadhaar number appointed by the registrar.
UIDAI or Office of the Registrar General of India (RGI) makes registration in all states / UT.