E -way bill
E-way bill is an electronic way bill for movement of goods which can be generated on GSTN portal. E-way bill contains the details of transported goods besides the name of consignor and consignee of such goods. It is the evidence of genuineness of supply of goods from one place to another.
E-way bill is required to be generated for consignment of goods of value exceeding Rs 50000. (Generating an e-way bill for consignments valuing less than Rs 50000 is optional)
When should an E-Way Bill be generated?
E-way bill is required to be generated for any movement of goods, due to any of following reasons:
- In relation to supply
- For reasons other than supply
- For inward supply from an unregistered persons
Who can Generate GST E-Way Bill?
- If a taxable person is registered under GST wants to transport goods using own vehicle or hired vehicle as a supplier or to be received in the course of business as a recipient, the taxable person can generate a E-Way Bill in Form GST INS-1 electronically on the GST Common Portal by providing information requested in Part B of FORM GST INS-01.
- If a transporter is involved in the transfer of Goods, then the taxable person registered under GST must furnish information about the consignment in Part B of FORM GST INS-01 on the GST Common Portal. Using this information, the transporter would then generate a E-Way Bill on the basis of the information provided by the taxable person in Part A of FORM GST INS-01. Transporters are allowed to generate and carry E-Way bill even if the value of the consignment is less than Rs.50, 000.
- Finally, any unregistered person transferring goods to a taxable person under GST can also generate e-way bill in FORM GST INS-01 on the GST Common Portal
Cancelling a GST E-Way Bill
E-way bill will also be allowed to be generated or canceled through SMS.
When an e-way bill is generated a unique e-way bill number (EBN) is allocated and is available to the supplier, recipient, and the transporter.
Once a GST E-Way Bill is generated but goods were not transported or are not being transported, then the GST e-way bill can be cancelled through the GST portal or through a GST Facilitation Centre within 24 hours of generation of the e-way bill.
Validity of E-Way Bill
|Upto 100 km||1 day|
|100 km or more but less than 300 km||3 day|
|300 km or more but less than 500 km||5 day|
|500 km or more but less than 1000 km||10 day|
|More than 1000 km||15 day|
Exceptions to E-way bill requirement
No e-way bill is required to be generated in the following cases
- Transport of goods as specified in Annexure to Rule 138 of the CGST Rules, 2017
- goods being transported by a non-motorized conveyance;
- goods being transported from the port, airport, air cargo complex and land customs station to an inland container depot or a container freight station for clearance by Customs
- in respect of movement of goods within such areas as are notified under rule 138(14) (d) of the SGST Rules, 2017 of the concerned State;
- Consignment value less than Rs. 50,000/
Goods worth more than Rs.50, 000 are transported from one place to another an e-way bill is required. In case goods are transported without an e-way bill, the goods can be seized by a GST officer and penalty could be levied.
Documents Required for Transport under GST
In addition to the GST E-Way Bill, a person in-charge of conveyance of goods is required to carry the following documents for inspection by authorities at any time:
- Invoice or bill of supply or delivery challans and invoice reference number from the GST common portal, obtained by uploading a copy of the GST tax invoice issued in FORM GST INV-1.
- Copy of the e-way bill or the e-way bill number, either physically or mapped to a Radio Frequency Identification Device (RFID) embedded on to the vehicle. in such manner as may be notified by the
CONSOLIDATED E-WAY BILL
Consolidated e-way bill is a document containing the multiple e-way bills for multiple consignments being carried in one conveyance (goods vehicle). That is, the transporter, carrying the multiple consignments of various consignors and consignees in one vehicle wherein he is required to carry one consolidated e-way bill instead of carrying multiple e-way bills for those consignments.
A transporter can generate the consolidated e-way bills for movement of multiple consignments in one vehicle.
Consolidated EWB is like a trip sheet and it contains details of different EWBs which are moving towards one direction, and these EWBs will have different validity periods.
Hence, Consolidated EWB is not having any independent validity period. However, individual consignment specified in the corresponding EWB in the Consolidated EWB should reach the destination as per its validity period of that individual EWB.
Latest updates on e- way bill
The GST council in earlier meeting in October had decided that E-way bill would be introduced in staggered manner from January 1 and subsequently nationwide from April1.
In the recent 25th GST council meeting was finally decided that the e-way bill is now introduced and will be applicable from 1st February 2018 across the nation.
The states can opt to follow the e-way bill system any time before 1st June 2018 From 1st June 2018 e-way bill rules will uniformly apply to all states.
The content of this article is intended to provide a general guide to the subject matter. Specialist advice should be sought about your specific circumstances; Before making any decisions do consult your Professional / tax advisor. For misrepresentation or interpretation of act or rules Author does not take any responsibility. Neither the author nor the firm accepts any liability for the loss or damage of any kind arising out of information in this document or for any action taken in reliance there on. The author is a Chartered Accountant and the Chief Gardener & Founder Director of Rajput Jain & Associates , a leading Tax & Investment Planning Advisory Service Provider. His blog can be found at http://carajput.com/blog/ For any query you can write to firstname.lastname@example.org. Hope the information will assist you in your Professional endeavors. For query or help, contact: email@example.com or call at 09811322785/4 9555 5555 480)